Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Orange Pickin

I'm sitting here in the warm Florida sun and watching them harvest the oranges in the grove across the road.  It's actually quite the process and I never knew that.  They are picking them by hand with ladders. Then a crane comes and lifts the buckets full of oranges and dumps them into a big truck.  It's kinda cool to watch so I said to my mom that it might be kinda fun to do that....

She chocked on her coffee and said "are you kidding me?" Well no...why?

She told me that the orange trees are full of thorns and the workers get bit quite often by snakes. Eeeeeeeew ummm okay then....no thanks!! lol

On the other hand...I've also been watching them fly over the groves in planes spraying pesticides and I'm sure they get into the oranges no matter how much they are rinsed after being picked. And we are probably drinking the pesticides right out of the carton that costs an arm and a leg these days. So I'm goin to be passing on the oj now lol

But I'm told when the trees blossom the smell is downright orgasmic so I can't wait to experience that part. lol Enuff about oranges...i'm rambling now lol

Can't ride through Florida without seeing orange groves Pictures, Images and Photos

7 comments:

Monkey Mae said...

Our orange tree is in full swing right now! So very yummy.

Menopausal New Mom said...

Hi Tamara, welcome back!!!!! yes reading this post on orange groves reminds me of that post I did a while back on how that orange juice in the carton is made. This goes right along with that. Now I wonder if you will get an email from the Citrus Growers of Florida or whatever in hell that group was that contacted me about my post Lol!!

Glad to have you back!!!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

I am so happy you are back in blogdom. I have missed your sweet self something fierce. Sebring huh? I've never been to FL. When my bro and sis were young my Mom lived there with them near Indian River, whereva that is.
I do love the smell of orange blossoms. Wow what a change of scenery for you. How great it is that you are there helping your little brother.
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. (((((hugs)))))))until next time

Matty said...

Welcome back. I had to look at this twice when you said Florida. Last time you were in MN. Now I envy you big time.

Mrs. M said...

Oranges: Yum!

Pesticides! Yuck!!

CountessLaurie said...

Whoa. I've gone orange picking before. THANK GOD I never saw a snake. It would have been heart attack city for me!!

Rue said...

Good to "see" you!

My folks are heading to my Auntie's in California, and I told them not to come home without a trunkfull of oranges! Yum!