Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Handicapped Kids and Horsies

First of all, I want to say thank you for the sound wonderful opinions and advice about my dad yesterday.  You are all right...he's depressed and really does need some counseling or meds or something.  He never used to be this way...it started about two years after he and my mom moved down to manage this resort.  I think he's just plain ol burned out....and needs to either get away from the resort or let me handle all the monkey business.

Southfork Ranch Spotted Pony Side Pictures, Images and Photos

Soooooo...on to my story....When I was a little girl, we lived in a very small town in Iowa. My dad was transferred there thru J.C. Penney's and was the manager of the little one level store (he was with Penney's 31 years).  This town was right out of a movie, complete with a town square and a Ben Franklin dime store. Every year, we had a rodeo, parades and alot of small town functions, everyone knew each other. My parents were the head of THE social circle there. One of their friends had horses, so my dad decides to buy one of his horses...that lead to a Tennessee Walker, a Shetland (JoJo, my sisters pony) and Dandy (my 4 year old quarter horse).

We kept our horses in the pasture behind the nursing home, which was really a two story white farmhouse complete with a beautiful white wooden barn.  My sister Wendi and I would go everyday to play with our horses.  She would cut JoJo's bangs, brush his teeth and would have taken him to bed if she could have. lol I was a little more practical with Dandy.

One day, we led our horses down the street, across the road and up the hill to our house.  There was a little dirt "alley" running between the houses and we were riding the horses up and down that.  Dandy tripped in a pothole and we both went flying.  I never got back on a horse since that day.

I love horses, they are beautiful and majestic, but because I fell and never got back on I was afraid to.  Yesterday, I went out to this non profit place here called Heartland Horses for Handicapped.  They do riding for handicapped children, it's just wonderful!! I'm going to be their new volunteer! I had so much fun with the horses and I'm hoping after I spend time with them and the children, I will get back on and ride.  I've already picked one out to ride....lol...he's 19, named Simon and acts like a dog! lol

I start volunteering next Tuesday and I'm on the feed and grooming schedule! I'm really really excited about it.

5 comments:

Menopausal New Mom said...

Well, what a nice thing for you to be doing. I hope that volunteering gives you the confidence to get right back up on a horse and enjoy the view again.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

You're such a goodie. Isn't it wonderful how the universe speaks (or whispers or shouts) and if you are wise you heed what is put in front of you. Huzzah for you for getting involved in something that is both healing for the kids that come to ride the horses and littl ole you. You made my heart sing for you this morning. Blessings, Linda ((((hugs)))) until next time.
pssssst....get unafraid of horses for me while you're at it okay? It'll be our little secret.

Jennifer MacNeill said...

I hope you ride again! I always wanted to have the time to volunteer with a handicap riding program. Hopefully someday! Good luck to you:)

MrsBlogAlot said...

Tamara, that sounds like one of the best ways to spend time that I've heard in a long time! I hope you get back on!

Juli said...

What a wonderful thing to be doing :) and I truly hope you're able to ride and ride often. Life with essence of equine is so much more magical :)