Saturday, January 2, 2010

Starting out bad already

As I'm watching the ball drop on New Years Eve, I was filled with excitment and almost giddy. I was so looking forward to putting 2009 behind us....it wasn't a great year...full of family/friend death, kid problems, career change and economy woes.  We all hugged and celebrated and whooped it up.  Whew...it was behind us.

Then I got up yesterday morning.  While drinking my coffee I got online and decided to check out bank accounts to make sure balances were correct.  To my surprise our household account was $600 short!!!

Turns out when we bought the chrysler 300M and put insurance on it, they have a new law!  They run your address and anyone showing up with your address gets automatically put on your insurance even if they don't have a license or don't live with you!! So if we want insurance on that car we have to pay $600 a month because all the kids have our address on their licenses.

WTH!!! First of all...my oldest lives in colorado and doesn't have a license (it was suspended a year ago).  Second son, lives with us temporarily, but doesn't have a license because it was suspended. Daughter lives with us sometimes and sometimes elsewhere.  Third son does live with us and we had him listed on the insurance and we were paying $130/month total for me, hubby and third son.  And first and foremost, none of them are ever allowed to drive either one of our vehicles.  Who needs 600 bucks taken out of their account right after xmas!!!!!!!

I called the insurance company and gave them addresses for the kids and that wasn't good enough and they didn't care that their licenses were suspended.  They want electric bills or something of the sort proofing where they live. And of course they have none.  So we are just screwed!! If I want insurance on the chrysler we have to pay $600 a month!!!!! And I'm not paying that each month, that's just ridiculous!!!

So......so much for having a great 2010...it's already starting out bad.

7 comments:

MisAdventuresofMomof3 said...

That sucks. I'm sorry. As if money isn't tight already after the holidays....

Menopausal New Mom said...

OMG, that is a disaster!! $600 is a huge chunk of change every month!!! Well, I wonder if you could split up that additional expense of having them living with you among them so they will get a taste of reality. I assume, you are charging them room and board, I think that should go up to cover the cost of them living there which is exactly what they are expecting you to do if you accept that $600.

I'm a mean mother! I think it's time for some tough love!

Good luck with that, insurance companies can be such dickheads sometimes and I should know, I worked in the insurance industry in Canada for more than 20 years!

Rue said...

That's absolutely insane. There is no way I could afford to pay that. Is it the law everywhere in your state, or can you go to a different insurance agent?

I know it's a hassle, but definitely go about getting some sort of paperwork, letters from employers or something, proving that your kids don't live with you!

Best of luck! Sending you some good energy!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Oh my stars, we would be so dead in the water if that were to happen to us. I can imagine the size of your migraine at this moment. I am so sorry. Good suggestions all from others. I'm dumbfounded.

Can't resist the vert word...stmono, the patron saints of all teenagers.

TheFitHousewife said...

OMG, what a total shock! I hope it all works out! good luck.

Amo said...

Wow, that is awful! That is a lot of money! I hope you guys get everything worked out and I hope tomorrow is a much better day!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

hello;

sorry that you have a not so great year of 2009,
problems make you stronger, smarter, and braver, do you agree?

keep your thoughts in order,
Keep your motion in control,
be cheerful handle with confidence, smile at your errors,...life is more enjoyable when you dare to poke fun at yourself...

happy new year.

http://www.jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com
welcome.